One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Sunday, August 08, 2004

If you could read my mind...

I wouldn't need to learn grammar or spelling or any of those formal English things!

Currently working my way through the grammar section of the online Teaching English as a Foreign Language course I need to do for the volunteer teaching English thing I signed up for. It appears I am totally incompetent in formal details of my own language, much less my ability to teach the damn thing or learn the formalities of other languages.

Going for a walk now. Am too frustrated by tenses, verbs, nouns, pronouns, adjectives, where to put the ruddy comma etc. Can anyone recommend a easy to follow grammar book or website? Would be much appreciated. Alternatively if you know how to communicate via telepathy and could give me details that would be useful too.

Also in Paihia on the Bay of Islands, for those who care.

(Yes the poor language use in this post is intentional)

4 Comments:

  • At Sunday, August 08, 2004 6:22:00 am, Blogger Aristotle said…

    Ow!!! My head hurts... I keep rereading this post but I can't find the intentional bad grammar anywhere. I had an argument with my boss the other day about that annoying apostrophe... it needs to be renamed to a 'catastrophe' I think.

    I recommend speaking to a French bastard... they tend to think they know English better than we native speakers. Also if they get annoying you can point out that the English vocabulary is twice as great as their's.

    (Apologies to anyone French people reading this, I love French people, really I do, just don't mess with my native tongue got-it?)

     
  • At Sunday, August 08, 2004 4:29:00 pm, Blogger Simon said…

    Definately lacking some commas here and there. Not to mention some pronouns. ^_-

    Not that I'm claiming to be any sort of grammer expert.

     
  • At Monday, August 09, 2004 12:50:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thatcher here.

    Just teach them whatever you like, from what i know of these things you will be pretty much assumed to be doing the right job with no checks.

    Its your first chance to corrupt the minds of the unsuspecting, dont waste it.

    Explain to all the hot women that in Australia the way to say thank you is silent but requires a strong jaw nonetheless.

    Also what specifically are you being hired to teach? Conversational? Business? or Colloquial english?

    Keep having fun.

     
  • At Wednesday, August 11, 2004 5:41:00 am, Blogger moonbug said…

    Dave: I'm supposed to be teaching mostly conversational english, but it's a moot point as I have to do the course regardless. On one of the notice boards for students several people who are working as full time TESL teachers have commented they use less than 80% of the grammar section in schools. I hate learning something that is both boring and fruitless. Oh that section is also apparently marked by computer rather than my tutor so if I make a simple typo I lose marks :(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home