One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Sunday, June 27, 2004

For one month only...

(Note: this was written on Sunday, 27th June 2004)

Am back in Perth, for one month only, before I leave not to return until next March.

A few more details about the rest of the trip...

Continuum
Was great, I had a lovely time. A large Perth contingent made things interesting and I had the opportunity to see/talk to people I normally wouldn't. I also got to meet some lovely hippy-geeks from Sydney/Canberra. Panels were great with a nice mix of topics and there was a good turn out to the "Danny & Lisa Rant About Work" one (though it was on at 11pm and we weren't up against anything). The guests were great also(Eddie Campbell is a funny man). Congrats to the committee for a well done job.

Vegetarian Orgasm
I rant about this restaurant so very much but it is totally divine. Managed to drag Sharon, Danny, Tiki, Mel, Jason, Rob and Simon out the night before we left, funnily enough there wasn't a single person who ate a "normal" diet. I had a really lovely night eating good food with people I really care about, so thank you for sharing it with me. Also managed to get there for breakfast on two occasions. Blueberry & Blackberry Crepes. This is especially important as a five year old "Pancakes" was my favorite restaurant. Therefore vegan pancakes with icecream that I don't have to cook has a special soft spot in my tummy. Or rather have caused an especially soft spot on my tummy. Am afraid to get on the scales to see how much I've put on...

My Friend The Chocolate Cake
I have a confession to make. I have only been to two concerts for bands/groups/artists that are not related to school or family in my life. Seeing My Friend The Chocolate Cake on Wednesday night was the second event (the first was seeing They Might Be Giants on my 21st birthday)...

Oh. My. God. MFTCC are totally and utterly brilliant live! David Bridie is really rather amusing (he devoted Your Ship Has Gone to "any number of Liberal front benchers") and they played to the audience (one person yelled out "Play The Gossip" so they did). They were fantastic with the music sounding insanely better live then it ever has on my CD player. Vandorlo (a piece that I was never really fussed on) was wonderful with so much energy and life and sound being thrown around the room. I quiet possibly fell in love with both Helen and Hope for that piece alone. *happy grin* Afterwards Hope was also kind & wonderful enough to sign my Parade Songbook too. I have had MFTCC tunes running through my head since Wednesday night. This is not a bad thing. Wow, squee and other happy noises!

Canberra
Australia is often stereotyped as being a large hot dry land. So who the hell put the capital in a place that only has summer 2 weeks a year? Canberra is a rather pretty, well designed town (despite the lack of trams) which is located in around some rather lovely hills. It is however freezing with the temperatures not reaching more then about 10C for the entire time we were there. Walking outside made my ears and face hurt due to the cold. On the upside there are some lovely people there. Simon and I managed to catch up with Patrick on Wednesday night & he took us for a drive around town, we went out to dinner with Peter, Marcia and Rick (who is just as lovely as Marcia has lead us to belive) on Thursday and saw Lily, Greg and John on Friday. Questacon is great fun (a whole room devoted to natural disasters!) as was Parliment House (& Question time... politicians behaving like 3 year olds up close & personal!). We also walked to the museum on Saturday morning via the lake which was really lovely.

That's all for now, probably be having a going away thing at some point. Should write about other stuff later but that's mostly it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home