One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

It's 3am, I must be lonely...

At Home. Working like a maniac, however resigned with the nursing agency so I have people to look after and my pathological desire to be needed is being catered for, the sleep desire thing on the other hand...

I have to leave for another night shift soon. I like night work, it means you have an excuse to be in bed in the morning *grin*. Also means you can really think about stuff and usually have a chance to catch up on some reading or writing or whatever. Not that I write much these days. Natalie, a girl I worked with in Melbourne, commented that when you work nights you get to really know yourself and have a chance to think about who you are. It's different than pulling an all nighter for study or because you've been at a party all night or hanging out drinking with friends & hey what do you know it's now 5am. It's difficult to describe unless you've been there on a regular basis. Reaching the quiet point in the night where you know it's not long to go but, oh hell, clocking off seems so long away (which is 3am generally for me) and using your mind to get through the psychological barrier (and having to do this every shift) is difficult to describe but for some reason makes you go all internal and is an interesting experience. Morning sounds are lovely, watching the city wake up. Seeing dawn break like I have the past two mornings was kinda comforting, knowing ye olde planet is still spinning and we aren't going to fall off.

Yet.

Perhaps I've been thinking too much. Thinking about some things too much can take the magic away. Rationalising stuff that can be enjoyed without breaking it down and should *not* be done all the time. Someone remind me of this every so often, okay?

Please?

1 Comments:

  • At Sunday, July 04, 2004 3:17:00 pm, Blogger Aristotle said…

    I don't believe thinking too much necessarily takes the magic away; like spending a lot of time enthralled with thinking about how wonderously complicated life is. It's when you can't see the beauty anymore that thinking becomes the twist of the thumbscrews.

    I liked your image of the city waking up - it shows that you can definitely still see the beauty in life.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home