One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

If I could save time in a bottle...

I leave in two weeks. TWO WEEKS. Fourteen days. I've looked at the list of stuff that needs doing in this time and am very, very glad I have managed to cut down on shifts. Still have no idea if I shall get it all done. Therefore apologies in advance to anyone I don't have the opportunity to see before I go. Alternatively you could just rock up to my "Come & consume caffeine and sugar with the moonbug" gathering next Sunday. Email me for details.

Speaking of going away invites, I've been calling up people I haven't seen in awhile just to let them know I'm leaving etc and I found out that (amongst other things) a old school friend is now a parent. This has for some strange reason caused me to muse a little on my own existence and to assess what have I really achieved in my twenty three and a half or so years of my current life. Sadly, I get the feeling not an awful lot. I haven't ever managed to hold down a emotionally successful (or positive, or long term) romantic relationship, will often substitute work for emotional contact with people and, whilst I get broody on occasion, the concept of actually being a parent generally freaks me out, though mostly for the sake of the child rather than myself. There is a big part of me that is worried that I really should be starting to grow up by now. I mean I've finished uni so I should get a real job in my field of education, right? And I should start saving for a mortgage, right? And I should find a nice suitable male partner so that I can have a hideously expensive white wedding, right? Only to be followed with 2.5 kids, a dog and a white picket fence, right? And then several miserable years of marriage before he runs off with his secretary, right?

Fuckit, I don't want to grow up. Yet.

5 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, July 20, 2004 2:11:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not anonymous, I'm mynxii :P~

    Re the whole 'growing up' stuff... we only ended up with a mortgage because the idea of renting just sounded like too much work... there were a few other things, but mostly that, but other than that i'm positive K and i have no plans whatsoever to grow up, nup, nada, none. And as for that 'man and 7 miserable years of marriage... i'll pass!!!!!! *shudder* I like my current philosophy better :) Besides there's also a selfish motive here - i also like being part of your Bevy *purrrsss* and i like having you in my harem *purrrr* mmmmm mutual belonging - more hugs!! yay!!! okay i admit it, i'm usually easily pleased/distracted :P~~ in short, or summary - you're not the only thing that the things mentioned above terrify, and want to stay far away from... i believe, and am sure others will agree, that we have achieved a lot in our young lives - how about the realisation of following the usual boy-marriage-kids-house-fence-dog-divorce pattern isn't necessarily what works and staying away from it? *ooh moment of insight :P* lol rarre for 9am :P~~ okay... i'm finished rambling now...

     
  • At Tuesday, July 20, 2004 2:12:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ....mynxii again....


    theres a 'thing' in there that should be 'one'... i knew that the evil am would pounce...

     
  • At Thursday, July 22, 2004 6:39:00 am, Blogger Thrifty Mumma said…

    You shouldn't make it sound like a chore.
    Just remain in control.
    We are moving along that track, and yeah it's scary to spend so much money on a material object, but its so comforting to wake up next to Steve every morning.
    Do it YOUR way. Heaps of people don't get married these days. If you communicate well your relationship will be strong and the secretary won't have a chance.
    Sunday was fun though I was shocked to see my nemesis John and even MORE shocked when he was NICE!
    Take care sweetie,
    -p

    Ps. I feel sorry for the Half-a-kid

     
  • At Sunday, July 25, 2004 2:38:00 pm, Blogger Sophie said…

    I know how you feel, I bumped into a friend from primary school (Like me, he's 25) who owns TWO houses, and runs his own company! And just came back from a trip 'round Europe! Guh. I feel like the characters of Spaced :) Still, we have degrees! Let us hold on to that!

    Yes, yes, I have a Permanent Man too. But I'm yet to leave the womb-like security of university for a Real Job.

    Anyway, enjoy your trip, (And how did it take me this long to find your blog?)
    Sophie

     
  • At Monday, August 09, 2004 10:40:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home