One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Glorious mud...

WARNING: This post has high levels of geography related geekiness, sluttiness and ranting.

Last night there was a high school geography trip staying at the hostel. This is the second trip I have encountered on my travels the first being a bunch of students doing land use survey's and cross sections in the Auckland hostel dining room. Last night I got interviewed for a project on tourism in the Rotorua region, why did I come here? Simple. "I am a geography slut & I find geothermal activity funky." (yes that is the exact response I gave, I also gave them some tips on how to get more people to interview) It has occured to me since that really this whole trip that I'm taking is just one really big Geography Field Trip, though as Simon pointed out, without the assessment section. Yay field trip! Yay geography!

Rotorua is fantastic. It's on the edge of two techtonic plates causing pressure under the earth to result in geothermal activity. I spent the afternoon walking through a park and spent most of my roll of film taking pictures of sulphur gas, bubbling hot springs and bubbling mud.

Did I mention how fantastic this is?

I actually don't mind the smell of sulphur. I don't mind the fact that I can't see when my glasses fog over because of the gas. It's wonderful. It's also warm, unlike everything else which is freezing.

Oh and there was also the museum which had lots of stuff on volcanoes. Yay! Volcanoes. The museum is in the building of the old public theraputic baths. Yay! Geothermal heating. Yay! Hot mineral springs.

*bounces*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home