One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

It´s the end of the world as we know it...

Some of my students took me on a tour (well they *are* tour guides) of old Olinda yesterday. I learnt many new and shiney things such as that the Boganvillia plant is native to Brazil, the Church considered the pelican as a symbol of Christ and some history of pretty churches (there are seven big ones in Olinda). I taught them some new words such as bark (which they had been calling tree skin) and increase. We saw some pretty views of the area. Oh and apparently the world is comming to an end real soon now.

Ed: You see we belive that there will only be one more Pope so there is only one more space left on the picture.
Me: So what happens after we run out of Popes?
Ed: The world ends.
Me: Well, that´s a bit depressing.

And people wonder why I have issues with organised religions.

In happier news I got in touch with my cousin & all family members are accounted for. I promptly emailed the work crew at home who emailed me who was on the other side of the planet to ask if I´d heared anything. Yay for the internet making strangers of your neighbours and friends from people on the other side of the planet.

They seem to have upgraded the earthquake to 9.0 on the Richter scale, putting it on par the fourth most intense since 1900. Rather impressive we´ve had two decent size quakes in the past month, but the other one only affected a few penguins off Antarctica (most of whom were apparently okay). People are complaining about how little other people are donating for aid, yet few stop to consider the number of people dying each day through famine, preventable disease, hunger and the like. I guess I´m saying you should all do something regularly for those less fortunate, there is always suffering in the world, just because it isn´t making CNN (pathetic news service that it is) doesn´t mean it doesn´t require help.

Oh and a story about sharks and the place I am currently staying is here.

ooer I gotta get to work now...

UPDATE: work was great, I got to draw diagrams of techtonic plates and explain tsunamis, earthquakes and volcanoes. Geography is everywhere, even in your English class...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home