One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Sunday, December 26, 2004

It´s a tsunami not a bloody tidal wave.

So this was to be a post about what I did for Christmas. But due to the planet being her usual gorgeous self I now am going to talk about earthquakes.

For those who don´t know have a look here

Some thoughts on earthquakes...

1> From a "geography slut" perspective earthquakes are really cool.

2> From a "I have several close family members in the region" perspective they are rather stressful.

3> From a "disaster and death" perspective they are rather sad.

4> From a "the Earth is alive" perspective they are a rather fabulous reminder.

5> From a "the ABC and BBC should have reporters who understand basic geographical terms perspective" it is rather ranty.

I like earthquakes because they are a reminder that humans do not own the planet. Mother Nature occasionally likes to remind us all that she´s had enough and that the Earth is a powerful entity to be respected. I love the fact that the Earth is alive and natural disasters are a reminder of this. Earthquakes are cool because they change the landscape and if it wasn´t for the tectonic plates moving about we would just be one continent. There would be less diversity in the life of the planet. And there wouldn´t be hot pink bubbly mud.

I am concerned about the several family members I have that are holidaying in the region. This goes without saying. I may rant and rave about my large crazy family lots but I still would prefer it if any of them weren´t swept away by a tsunami. Then again I have yet to hear reports of earthquake issues in Phuket shopping malls so my Aunt is probably okay.

If I read another report about "tidal waves" that are caused by earthquakes I think I shall scream. I mean how bloody hard is it to make sure your reporters have passed high school geography. For those of you who are not aware a tsunami is a big waves caused by an earthquake (or tremor) out on the ocean. It is not caused by the tides at all. Hence you should not be calling it a tidal wave. For a better explanation have a look here. Tidal waves are what we experience every day when the tide goes in and out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home