One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Cooking the planet.

So I just checked my hotmail and you know how it automatically brings up the msn homepage? (yes I still have a hotmail account, I know) Well for once they actually have a poll that isn´t based on government scare mongering, pop stars or sports. The topic: "Do you think Global Warming is to blame for Australia´s unpredictable weather?"

How about the whole damn planet? This was something that I was going to write about once I had been to another 3 countries and got home. But the thing is everyone has been saying the weather has been extra hot/cold/dry/crazy/odd, *everywhere* I have been. And it´s supposed to be a La Niña year too (which hopefully means no flooding in Peru when I´m there *crosses fingers*).

In New Zealand, it was a dry winter, Kay was compaining about it affecting the soil when we were transplanting blackberries. In Bangkok, Nevryn & I were there for the hottest day in 10 years. In London, it was an unusually wet October with prediction of snow. In Rome it was a warm autumn. And to quote Mo (who runs the nice hostel in Rio and who I was discussing the weather with yesterday morning) "This weather is crazy. It never used to be like this." Becuase over the past 5 years the weather in Rio has become more unpredictable, hotter than normal and raining at odd times. Like now.

I am in Salvador. The 30 hour bus ride was moderately evil, because it was 30 hours on a bus and despite all possible comforts you still notice every single pothole. Saw the most amazing lighting storm from the bus as well as some funky scenery. In many ways the rolling hills and the greenery remind me of New Zealand- except it´s hot. To Recefe tommorrow night!

Those of you who were kind enough to email, I will reply properly later.

1 Comments:

  • At Friday, December 03, 2004 11:07:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks to me that you are taking on an aspect of your fish girl persona. By making like a Finn song and taking the weather with you.

    Thatcher.
    - Silliest cultural re-referencing post EVER!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home