One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Friday, November 26, 2004

The little things.

So I´ve hit the half way point, or there abouts I´ll be home in just under 4 months. And right now I am noticing the little things most of all.

Yesterday morning I also got the chance to do ironing. I haven´t done any form of ironing in four months, so this is a major thing. It was sort of surreal standing on the top of a building at 0730 in the middle of downtown São Paulo listening to the traffic in my pj´s doing the ironing.

Today when I was walking through the market and the craft shops here in Paratay it wasn´t the cost, the suitability or the detail of the work that got me. It was the size. I look at everything and go "that´s far too big to lug around for the next 4 months." Totally takes the fun out of shopping, which is probably good given my financial situation.

Last night when packing I have realised how much stuff I am carrying that I am not using right at this moment. Sure I will need my jacket when I get to the mountains (I sure as hell did in London). But that´s not for another 2 and a half months and it´s taking up space in my bag until then. There´s the grammar books which get ditched gleefully RSN. And the medication, though I need it I probably shouldn´t have taken two boxes of ventolin. Of course I would have needed it if I didn´t. And then there´s the sleeping bag...

*glares at my pack*

Actually I have gotten packing down to a fine art (having to do it at least once, usually more times a week). I still don´t like it. Am looking forward to teaching where I can unpack for a whole 6 weeks. Six weeks with no packing or major bus journeys, I can´t wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home