One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Thursday, September 09, 2004

That was just a dream...

Two days ago I woke up with a funny bruise on my upper, inner arm (you all thought I was going to say leg, didn't you?) which didn't hurt. Thinking it was an unsual place for a bruise, but not being in pain, I ignored it.

Yesterday my cousin noticed and asked about it...

C: what's that on your arm?
M: oh just a bruise I woke up with yesterday, don't know how I got it
C: does it hurt?
M: no
*C gives M a funny look*
M: what?
C: tell you in the car
*in the car*
M: okay what's up?
C: local superstition says that a bruise that doesn't hurt & you don't know how you got is caused by an evil spirit feeding off you
M: uhuh
*C thinks*
C: we haven't gone anywhere eerie or out late have we? must have been one of the hungry ghosts

It's currently the Chinese "Hungry Ghost" festival, where for a month prayers and food are offered to ancestors who have passed on and it is belived that spirits walk the earth. It is followed by Mid-Autumn Festival (aka Mooncake festival). I also visited the oldest Chinese temple in Malaysia (devoted equally to Taoism, Confusicism and Chinese-Buddism) and the oldest Catholic Church (built in 1710) where the above conversation took place. Also have been to several museums and had a good wander around the historical buildings that Melacca has to offer.

Have been doing alot of religon based stuff (like go to mass, visiting temples etc) of late. I find different forms of worship interesting and also in Asia there seems to be more of a cross section of different religions present, especially when compared to Perth. I have also found a label for my form of theism, apparently I am a "Free Thinker". Whilst I hate labels they can be most useful at times. It's much easy to say "vegan" than "I avoid as much as possible in our society animal products including meat, honey, dairy, eggs, leather, wool, birds, silk, beeswax, meat stock, fish, sealife, cheese becuase of animal & social ethical, environmental and health reasons." (though the number of people who think vegetarians eat fish makes me think that labels suck!) Trying to write "I think that there is a higher being or beings of some variety that some people refer to as "God" but I do not follow any particular organised religion becuase I have yet to find one I totally agree with, and besides if God is devine how can any direct order based on an interperitation made by a mortal be correct?" is a pain on the one line they give you in the census forms. So there we go.

Caught the bus to Singapore today. Just at the hostel I'm staying at now, went for a walk earlier, should maybe get food at some point. Though still full from Malaysia. My family are very cool but won't take "Not really I'm not very hungry" as an answer. I have been subjected to many fabulous vegan foods over the past two and a half weeks including (but not limited to) goreng pisang, roti, dhal, chee cho fun, popiha, various vegie delights, sweet & sour with fresh pineapple, restaraunts that do Happy Buddha type food except for next to nothing and a zillion times better, mung bean cakes, fried kuey teow, pow (what Perth people call dim sum buns), pineapple, mango, papaya, rumbutans, mata kuching, fresh coconut juice...

Hungry now, catch you all later.

BTW anyone who wants a gmail invite, email me.

3 Comments:

  • At Thursday, September 09, 2004 4:00:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    *hugs*

    Forgot your email address or otherwise would email you properly.

    Sounds like you're having fun in your travels anyway, remember to look out for cute vegan boys!

    Missing you,
    Oliver

     
  • At Friday, September 10, 2004 5:15:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do vegans eat yoghurt?
    One girl I know was eating yoghurt and trying to say not only was it not a dairy product but that she was a vegan...

     
  • At Saturday, September 11, 2004 11:06:00 am, Blogger moonbug said…

    Is it a animal product?

    Yoghurt made from cow, sheep, goat or other animal milk is not vegan.

    There are however, several brands of yoghurt made from soya that are vegan.

    You could also make yoghurt at home using whatever vegetable "milk" you like eg rice, oat or coconut milk.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home