One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Monday, August 23, 2004

Let's go out tonight...

So my last night in Hong Kong, I should really head home as certain people are expected to call, but the lure of email and a iced soy mocha entraped me...

Today visited the monestary on Lantau Island where the big golden Buddha statue is. Whilst I'm not in favour of organised religion in the slightest, the monks run a vegetarian restarant and the views were awfully pretty. The artwork and detail put into the temples and statues was quiet amazing as well. Oh & they have signs banning meat. Not as cool as Jain temples (where people must remove all leather & fur before entering, Jainism is by far the most animal friendly organised religion I have studied up on) but still very funky. Oh & the food was really nice, big servings and yummy coconut sago cakes.

It's a lovely balmy night tonight so have gone for a quick walk along Victoria Harbour, HK side and had alook at the exhibition centre where the 1997 hand over to China offically took place. It's hot, but still comfortable for a stroll. I do like this heat thing for the moment, at least at night. But then I am pretty much a night person and cold nights often mean staying in or getting ill for me.

Speaking of which *touch wood* my lungs seem to be holding up rather well. The signs for "How to Prevent Avian flu" and for SARS awarness has a certain "Terrorism: Be Alert, Not Alarmed" tone to them. The paper two day's ago mentioned Avian flu had been found in pigs (which is okay as I don't eat birds or pigs, right?). And then there's the people walking around waring surgical masks. Hmmm, let's see how I handle Bangkok.

Tommorrow I head to KL to visit family (in the "everyone's your family, rather than immediate biological family" sense). Given that I haven't been to Malaysia in about 10 years (my plans to go 3 years ago were halted due to pneumonia) it should be fun.

1 Comments:

  • At Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:35:00 am, Blogger Aristotle said…

    Not eating birds and pigs is a good step, but make sure you don't have sex with them either. Remember symphilus and gonorhea and all the pain they've caused were transmitted to humans by a couple of sick sexually frustrated hoons... :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home