One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse...

Just got back from visiting Simon Fryer in Swindon. Had a fantastic time! I caught the train up to Swindon on Saturday early afternoon. A bit later than I was hoping but had to deal with medical issues before I left London. Swindon is about a hour on the train from Paddington Station and is home to The Magic Roundabout (amongst other things). The Magic Roundabout is basically what happens when town planners are on acid or other fun drugs. Think one really big roundabout, but with 5 smaller roundabouts around it in the shape of a pentagram. Roundabouts are great :)

We went out to Avebury (place with older stone circles than Stonehenge) for a walk about on Saturday evening then again to look at the museum on Sunday. It's amazing to think that people have been living and worshipping in the same place for thousands of years. The country side is pretty, the stereotypical rolling hills, hedgefences, sheep and cows (go BSE & foot and mouth!) that you expect to see in the English countryside. Also a bit chilly.

On Saturday night we went clubbing. I drank local beer, a half pint. I then had a stolly. And then 5 shots of vodka with lime. In under two and a half hours. No hangover! No depression! (but a weak stomach). It seems I drink much, much more when I am away from Perth (as in I drink, rather than teatotal which is what I do in Australia). It was pointed out when stumbling home that I wouldn't have put myself in such a situation unless I trusted the people (or in this case person) I was out with. And after much sober thought it has occured to me that there are very few people I trust enough to be in that situation (when I am out of my comfort zone, off my nut & slightly flirty) to ensure that they will take care of me. I did however notice the two guys who were perving on me all night (as did Simon) and I still was able to give a suitable fake name and contact details to get them to go away. Thanks also to the nice girl who dragged me out of the bathroom so I could stumble home, I hope she got laid as it was her birthday :)

Went out to Bath on Sunday afternoon and Hay-on-Wye (the book town) on Monday, will go into more detail later about them.

So yes, election result. What the hell are people thinking? I can understand why some people would want to vote Liberal, but who on earth would vote for the crazy right wing groups who want to put us back in the dark ages? What on earth are you on? Can you please leave my planet?

It's really sad, you meet so many people travelling. Some of them have been really nice people, who also happen to be from the United States. It's really sad to see people who are ashamed and embarrassed by their own country and the mentality of the people in it. I don't want to be like that.

3 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, October 13, 2004 5:06:00 am, Blogger Aristotle said…

    On the sibject of European Cows:

    My cousin who living in the Netherlands at the moment wrote this to me recently:

    "They have indoor cows here. I couldn't figure out why I never saw cows in the paddocks. Some cows are farmed inside their entire lives. The paddocks are only used to grow feed so they can farm more cows on less land. Cows always look a little mopey to me, but these cows look really depressed. They're gonna need cow psychiatrists soon."

    Tis sad...

    Take care of yourself too! Love and whorship the moonbug... you're the only moonbug many of us have.

     
  • At Thursday, October 14, 2004 4:32:00 pm, Blogger moonbug said…

    I should hope I am the only moonbug you have, I don't know of any others.

    *big cuddles* email me Ari :)

     
  • At Tuesday, October 19, 2004 10:17:00 am, Blogger Aria said…

    Saw the photos of Avebury. Impressive looking rocks.

    Hope the weather isn't too miserable. The magic roundabout is neat isn't it? Surprisingly it apparently actually works at cutting down accidents and improving traffic flow.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home