One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Friday, October 22, 2004

Farewell to old England...

The last few days in the UK were good. I am seriously considering living here, though the weather is frightfully shite. Of course to mock me leaving it was a gorgeous blue skied day and last night was comfortably warm (as in I didn't need to wrap my scarf around my head and put on gloves).

Went out to The British Museum on Tuesday. Everyone said I had to go there, the collection is quiet impressive, really interesting etc etc. Well I must say I was a little disappointed. It's the biggest collection of stolen goods in the world and was full of screaming school children (yes I'm noting the irony that I am one of the people who will be dragging said school children to museums). Had a look at the Egyptian section which was packed and the Roman and Greek stuff which was less packed. Also the section on money where the feature display was on badges which as a badge collector I found really interesting. Everything from "born again pagan" to boy scout badges to really old political party pins. Wandered into the Asia section and decided not to bother, I've seen far more impressive Buddha statues on this trip.

Had lunch and loafed about before going to pick up my passport which now has a visa for Brazil in it (yay!) with a few hours to spare I decided to have a quick look at the Natural History museum. Given time limits I thought I'd just have a quick look through the Earth Gallery and maybe look at the Life Gallery later on.

Well not only is it housed in a far more impressive building but it has a far cooler collection of stuff. Fossils, rocks, a statue of Atlas to greet you at the door. And lots of hands on stuff as well and even more funky stuff involving volcanoes and the like. Impressed? Very much so and rather annoyed that I had wasted most of the day looking at some old pots at the Museum.

I managed to catch up with Bec on my last night (after phone chasey over a week). We went out to dinner and had a good catch up and gossip which was most enjoyable. During the day I made it out to Greenwich to have a look at the Prime Meridian (or where it's officially recognised to be at the moment) and it was funky. Lots of clocks, including a 24hour style hand clock, maps, telescopes and globes. Really interesting. Catching the Docklands Light Rail out made me remember what it was about the DLR that I learnt in class a few years ago. The redevelopment reminds me at times of East Perth, but more so of Melbourne.

So now I'm in Rome, was going to go to Naples but now I'm not so sure. Went to the Collussium today which was interesting to walk around and just took a general wander around the city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home