One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Friday, September 21, 2007

Sing. Sing a song...

Or at the very least listen to other people when they sing.

During the year and a bit I was in Canberra my music collection has doubled (possibly tripled), the number of times I have gone clubbing has increased by lots and I've seen heaps of live gigs. The east coast has done wonders for my music appreciation and experience. I went to folkies, saw heaps of local bands, saw artists that I have admired for a long time live and have spent large amounts of time discussing, sharing and enjoying music.

This gig
So the going out to a gig thing has really been happening. I took a road trip with Ben, Andy and Jocelyn to Sydney to see My Friend The Chocolate Cake in Sydney last December. And then I dragged another nine people with me to see them in Canberra in May. As always MFTCC were awesome, the fine Miss Kitten claiming that the Canberra gig was one of the best shows she's ever seen. And this was without Hope on violin and slight sound problems.

P has invited me along to hear him play in the National Capital Orchestra and also to hear other, orchestras play. I like classic stuff but I've not heard so much of it live before which was a great new experience. The 1812 overture with special effects by Questacon (think hydrogen balloons exploding) on the lawns of Government House was a special highlight.

Wandering through Civic one evening I saw that the Wilderness Society were hosting a fundraising gig with Dana Lyons performing. This resulted in much happiness and bouncing on my behalf. For those who don't know (and according to P I needed to explain this) Dana Lyons is the guy who did Cows With Guns. He also has done heaps of environmental/folk/comedy type of stuff which is by and large very, very good. I went along with P and Nem and even though it was small it still rates as an awesome gig. The group rendition of Monty Python's The Lumberjack Song at the end was a highlight.

A little pennywhistle and a mandolin
Pretty much since I met the Campbell House people I have received subliminal messages (and blatently obvious ones) that I should attend The National Folk Festival over the Easter weekend. Given I no longer attend organised religious events and going back to Perth for Swancon involved going to Perth I really had not alot else on that weekend.

Which was good because Folkies rocked!

Lots of tasty vegan foods, lots of cool market stores, neat buskers, dancing, about a dozen stages and friend made it a most excellent weekend. It was nice to attend a hippy event (it's been awhile) and wandering around with some tasty kofta balls waring a poncho with a cute boy whilst listening to various musics was most relaxing. Highlights include listening to Cam n Ry (who have some delightfully veg flavoured songs), The Cashews, Anne Kirkpatrick, Mal Webb (who was as funny as everyone told me), Jigzag (who weren't as good as everyone said IMHO but were still enjoyable), Dahahoo and Totally Gourdgeous (who play instruments made out of pumpkins). The Beatles sing-a-long was heaps of fun- think a tent full of people singing along to different Beatles tunes on a Sunday night...

There was some dancing, chatting with friends, talking to strangers, meeting new people, wandering through market stalls, eating, drinking, cuddling up with soy hot chocolates in the cool Canberra autumn evening. I could wear strange hippy clothes and noone cared, indeed I got many compliments and I bought more stuff including my much loved patchwork pants!

Let's Dance
So clubbing. How about that. Isn't that something you should do when you are 18 in order to get really drunk, smell like cigarettes and hook up with random people? Suffice to say clubbing isn't really my thing and never really has been. Until I moved to Canberra. I went to Toast mostly but especially the Cheese nights of "retro 80s" music were where you can sing and dance along to heaps of crazy 80s musics, meet friends, hang out on the hexagon blocks outside, curl up on the couches with a loved one and just have fun that made it for me.

Speaking of dance I also started pole dance lessons again which were a bit different to the ones I took in Perth but were still heaps of fun.

A disk for every season
The number of albums I own has increased. By alot. In part earning more to spend on albums, in part because people keep burning me copies of stuff, in part because I have discovered heaps of new stuff that I want to own. Also living with Phil ment that I had access to his vast, vast collection of old Rock, new Rock, jazz, reggae, blues and I'm sure there is stuff I've since forgotten, some of which I fell in love with and went out and bought for myself.

I now own all the MFTCC and BNL albums. I also have signed Scared Weird Little Guys and Dana Lyons :)

This year and a bit of musical discovery was unexpected, but I'm glad I have had it. It means my ipod has a vast great range of different things to hear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home