One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Here comes the sun...

One thing that has struck me about the beauty of a Canberra winter is the glorious clear days. The sky is blue and clear, often dotted with hot air balloons in the morn and the rays of Sol peak over the horizion and dance across the sky during the day. But it isn't warm. Standing in the sun you still feel cold as the rays that hit you seem to have lost all their nourishing heat somewhere in the atmosphere before hitting your face. It's somewhat bizzarre if you aren't used to it and as a result my complaint for being cold is summarised as "the sun is broken."

Walking around the market on Saturday morning I noticed something was different- the sun in the sky felt warm on my face! They fixed Sol! I walked around my back garden on Sunday in my towel just to get more sunlight. Would have done it naked but didn't want to freak out housemates and neighbours. I've missed vitamin D.

There is a tree near the house on the corner. I think it is an apple or a cherry- I don't know my trees well enough to tell. Her naked branches are beinging to be covered in delightful pink and white blossoms. It's the first hint of spring. Nemo and other more permenent Canberrians have warned me that spring isn't here just yet- that there will be a cold snap or a storm, that spring is wet.

But, they fixed Sol and I am happy :)

3 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, August 16, 2006 2:52:00 am, Blogger Juans said…

    Here comes the Sol! From Argentina greatful life

     
  • At Monday, August 21, 2006 3:59:00 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    While the weather has been wonderful, the doomsayers are correct. There will be a terrible cold snap soon, in which people will lose the various apendages prone to such weather. Hopefully I'll be in Perth before that happens though :-)

    I don't think your housemates or neighbours would mind if you wandered around the backyard naked. ;-)

     
  • At Friday, September 01, 2006 6:54:00 am, Blogger Parton Words said…

    I've lived here for nearly 8 years now...and I love the winter. After a while it doesn't seem all that cold. I think spring is quite possibly the most dissapointing season. It so often promises so much and delivers so little. Windy and wet. Well wet as compared to winter.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home