One planet at a time...

"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." -Jane Austen

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Frostbite is your friend

This morning I woke, dressed, pottered around chatting to a housemate who told me the soccer score and after all that set out for the day. I opened the front door and noted that it was a little cooler than it has been in the past few weeks as I could see my breath when I exhaled. I had no idea where my gloves were and it didn't seem so bad that I needed to dig out the beanie so carried on. A few paces up the road I stopped and looked around. Something wasn't quite right but I couldn't put a finger on it. Everything seemed to have a little less colour despite the clear sky and the radiance of Sol. I inspected a leaf on the neighbors hedge.

Frost.

Icicles covered everything. The lack of colour was a soft white caused by the settling of crystalised water over everything. I run back to the clothes line and inspect my washing. Beautiful delicate ice crystals formed beautiful sculptures across my clothing. The leaves on the trees and the fences well all covered. The pile of leaves I stomp through with enthusiasm each morning- each leaf was covered in frost. It made for a wonderful sight and set me off to a beautiful day in a great mood.

Of course spending 5 minutes waiting for a bus without headgear or gloves in near zero temperatures made me loose all feeling of my ears and fingers. Frostbite is a small price to pay.

1 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 2:32:00 pm, Blogger Sophie said…

    Frostbite is a small price to pay

    And that is why you live in Canberra, and I do not :)

    I did have a similar experience in America which was indeed cool and surreal and beautiful. Didn't stop me spending the day whining about how cold I was though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home